Lacky & Sons Monuments was
founded in 1892 by John William Lacky. The original location was in
Lewistown, Illinois. Ivan Lacky, Johnís son, opened a branch office in
Monmouth at 701 West Broadway during 1917. The two men then combined to
open an office in Galesburg in 1923. The Galesburg location was purchased
at 150 West Main Street, which has been operating since. The company had
three outlets until the mid 1930ís when the Lewistown and Monmouth
locations were closed.
Ivanís sons, Paul & Charles Lacky, joined the family business in 1933.
Ivan, Paul & Charles ran the business from the 150 West Main Street
location until Ivanís retirement in 1960. The sons then continued in the
business until 1981 when the business was sold to Harvey & Sharon Ponder.
Harvey & Sharon have continued the Lacky family tradition by modernizing
equipment and expanding the range of the company. In 1985 an existing
monument company was purchased in Kewanee. The name of the company,
Baughman Monuments, was kept for local identity. Another branch outlet was
opened during 1991 in Macomb at 1502 West Jackson Street. The Kewanee and
Macomb stores are retail outlets with indoor and outdoor viewing areas.
With these retail locations, the overall customer range has been expanded
greatly. Currently the company serves areas between the Mississippi and
Illinois rivers, and as far as Sterling Rock Falls to the North and Quincy
to the south. All memorials are lettered at the Galesburg lettering shop
and transported to the cemetery from there.
Carrying on with the tradition, three sons joined Harvey & Sharon in the
business. In the late 80ís Jon & Chad Ponder began working with their
parents in different aspects of the company. Currently Harvey oversees all
aspects including sales, purchasing and still has a very hands on
approach. Sharon is in charge of bookkeeping, payroll, and customer
relations. Chad has taken over the cemetery lettering operation and also
heads the monument setting division. Jon is involved in computer design of
the monuments and sales. Drew Ponder is currently managing the Macomb
store and helping in Galesburg wherever needed. Lacky Monument currently
has six full time employees besides the four family owners.
The largest project in the companyís history was the move to 149 West Main
Street. The building became available in late 2001 due to the move of the
Buick car dealership. The building was purchased in December 2001, and
renovations began immediately. The full operation is now operating at the
new location. The new large facility has enabled for more capacity in the
indoor showroom, lettering shop, and warehouse. A computer driven laser
etching machine is the latest upgrade in technology.
Lacky Monument looks to the future and is fully equipped to meet larger
demands while keeping with the personal touch from the past.